The Student News Site of Chaparral High School

The Express

The Express

The Express

Stepping Stones: Kiera Smith’s Path to Early Success

In the bustling corridors of high school, where dreams and aspirations intermingle with the challenges of adolescence, Kiera Smith’s journey stands out as a testament to resilience, determination, and the pursuit of academic excellence. Amidst the backdrop of a world emerging from the shadows of a pandemic, Kiera embarked on her freshman year in the fall of 2022, fueled by the fervent desire to carve her path and graduate a year ahead of schedule.

Entering high school after a year of remote learning, Kiera approached this new chapter with a blend of apprehension and excitement. Uncertain of the distinctions between diplomas and gowns, she navigated the labyrinth of course selections, opting for regular classes without the allure of honors or AP courses. Yet, despite the initial ambiguity surrounding academic pathways, Kiera’s inaugural year proved to be a trans formative one. Reflecting on those early days, she fondly reminisced, “My experience for my first time ever being in high school was good, I had fun and made friends.”

Buoyed by newfound friendships and a manageable academic workload, Kiera effortlessly maintained a consistent GPA, laying the foundation for her ambitious plans to graduate early. However, as the academic year unfolded, so too did Kiera’s awareness of the coveted white gown and advanced honors diploma, symbols of academic distinction that sparked a newfound determination within her.

Kiera Smith, Senior

As the curtain fell on her freshman year, Kiera stood atop the pinnacle of accomplishment, both academically and mentally. “I end my freshman year on a high note academically and mentally,” she affirmed, a sense of pride permeating her words. Yet, the journey ahead was not without its challenges.

With the dawn of her sophomore year in August 2023, Kiera confronted a new set of obstacles on her path to early graduation. Academic rigor intensified, and Kiera found herself grappling with late starts and classes where she struggled to elevate her grades. Undeterred, she embarked on a journey of academic perseverance, enrolling in online night school to accelerate her credit accumulation and stay on track towards her goal.

Despite the hurdles she faced, Kiera remained resolute, determined to overcome every obstacle in her path. As the end of her sophomore year approached, she couldn’t shake the feeling that her grades could have been better, but she took solace in knowing that she had given her best effort.

The summer of 2023 brought with it a renewed sense of anticipation as Kiera eagerly anticipated the start of her senior year and the prospect of graduating in May. Her excitement was palpable as she immersed herself in school events, from senior sunrise to homecoming festivities and football games. Despite her inherently introverted nature, Kiera found solace in the camaraderie of her peers and the familiarity of flag football, which she continued to play for the third year, earning a coveted spot on the varsity team.

However, as the summer waned and senior year loomed on the horizon, Kiera encountered a setback on her journey to early graduation. Despite her best efforts, she found herself half a credit short of the honors requirements for the diploma and gown she coveted. Undeterred, she threw herself into her studies with renewed vigor, enrolling in two English and Math classes, including honors and AP courses, in a bid to bridge the gap and fulfill her aspirations.

“I’m drained from school at the moment and can’t wait until May,” Kiera confessed, the weariness evident in her voice as she grappled with the exhaustion wrought by years of academic toil. Yet, amidst the fatigue, there was an undeniable sense of excitement as she looked forward to the culmination of her high school journey and the promise of new beginnings.

With prom and senior night on the horizon, Kiera’s emotions swirled as she prepared to bid farewell to the familiar halls of high school and embark on the next chapter of her life. “I now graduate in a month and am very excited to get started on my journey,” she exclaimed, her voice brimming with anticipation for the future and gratitude for the experiences that had shaped her. As she looked ahead to her enrollment at Louisiana State University in the fall of 2024, Kiera couldn’t help but marvel at how quickly the years had passed and the trans formative journey that lay ahead.

Donate to The Express

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chaparral High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.