The Student News Site of Chaparral High School

The Express

The Express

The Express

Grand Theft Auto Stays Consistent

New Protagonist Introduced in Gaming Trailer
Grand Theft Auto Stays Consistent

Rockstar Games’ Grand Theft Auto (GTA) series has earned a distinctive reputation in the video game industry for its innovative approach to creating virtual worlds. Each installment transports players to fictional cities full of life, detail and possibilities. From the iconic Liberty City to the vibrant and diverse Los Santos, each environment provides a unique and richly detailed experience. The core of the saga revolves around crime and the life of crime.

Players assume the roles of characters who, for the most part, are immersed in the world of organized crime. Elaborate missions, from large-scale robberies to high-speed chases, form the fabric of the gaming experience, offering constant thrills and challenges. One of the most distinctive features of GTA is its ability to create unforgettable characters and complex plots.

From the charismatic CJ of San Andreas to the interchangeable protagonists of GTA V, each installment presents a unique narrative with surprising twists and turns. The skillful use of satire and parody allows the saga to comment on contemporary culture in clever ways. GTA V, in particular, introduced a novel approach by having multiple playable characters, each with their own intertwined story. This added an additional layer of depth to the plot and allowed players to experience the story from multiple perspectives. In addition to the single-player experience, the saga has incorporated expansive online modes. GTA Online allows players to immerse themselves in a persistent world where they can form gangs, engage in criminal activity, purchase property, and compete in multiplayer challenges.

The combination of innovative gameplay, expansive worlds and captivating narratives has made the GTA series a cultural phenomenon, influencing the design of open-world games and leaving an indelible mark on the interactive entertainment industry. This is because every city-themed open world game that comes out is always compared to the most recent game in the GTA saga, it already happened with “Cyberpunk” or the “Mafia” game saga.

On the 4th of this month, the first trailer for the new game, the long-awaited “GTA VI” was released after a long wait by fans of 10 years. The wait was partly due to the release in 2018, from the video game, Red Dead Redemption 2 which is from the same company.

The release of this trailer and therefore of the game, means a new era in the world of video games, since it means that a new competition begins to see who can match or at least get close to the new rockstar giant.

In the trailer we can see a graphic quality that is perhaps very similar to what we already saw in Red Dead Redemption 2 but without a doubt it is much superior to that seen in GTA V, you can also see incredible water physics, which in video games are very difficult to recreate, we also saw the two protagonists “Jason and Lucía” which is a couple of thieves based on the story of “Bonnie and Clyde” who were also a couple of thieves that terrorized the United States in the 1930s.

Lucia is not only the first female protagonist in the GTA saga, but she is also the first Latina main character in the saga. Before we had already seen protagonists who are not American like Huang Lee, from GTA Chinatown Wars, who is from China , and also we had seen several Latin characters in the GTA saga such as Martin Madrazo from GTA V or “Cesar Vialpando from GTA San Andreas” but Lucia would be the first main character to have this ethnicity.

In conclusion, the trailer which has 148M views only gave us a small preview of what will probably be one of the best Rockstar games and possibly the industry in general, since since GTA V and Red Dead Redemption 2, Rockstar Games has given us. It has brought quality before quantity and I hope they continue like this.

Donate to The Express

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chaparral High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.