The Student News Site of Chaparral High School

The Express

The Express

The Express

JROTC a Whole New Experience

The Freshman Perspective

High school is such a change from middle school There are many more class options, clubs, and sports than there were in middle school.

I joined JROTC this year as a freshman. JRTOTC is meant for discipline and to improve social skills and leadership skills. It is not in any way some sort of way of them recruiting you into any branch of the military that’s not what it’s meant for.

My experience so far in JROTC has been great. I really enjoy it. There are a lot of regulations that you have to follow and as long as you follow them then you will be fine. I have also made a many new friends and my social skills have improved a lot. In the beginning I had my suspicions whether or not I would like it, but I like it because we learn things from the blue books (NRS Cadet Manual) that the commanders give us. The books contain information the we use a lot in JROTC.

We have squad formations once every two weeks, and we have a uniform days when we have to come to school in uniform. For my class it took us a little while for everyone to get their uniforms. We had to learn that there are regulations on the uniform too. The pins have to be in certain places, and your hair has to be a certain length. The shoes they give have to be shined. Your shirt and pants have to be ironed and the uniform and the jacket they give you must be dry cleaned.

We have events after school, most of which are cleaning up the school or just cool stuff in general. For those events, we have to wear the black uniform shirt that they give us. At these events they provide food and drinks. There have just been good times in JROTC so far this school year. We also get to go on these cool trips; like field trips to cool places and we get to go to San Diego like every year for like a week. We will get to tour actual Naval ships, sleep in the navy barracks and other fun activities.

We have a Commanding Officer, Senior Robert Waller, and he commands all of the classes. Then in each JROTC class period there are individual officers. There are also Platoon Commanders, PCs and there are Master Chief Petty Officers, MC POs. This is my experience in JROTC so far

Donate to The Express

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chaparral High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.