The Student News Site of Chaparral High School

The Express

The Express

The Express

Resilience Towards Adversity

Arein Grace

“I noticed my dad getting sicker and sicker during my sophomore year,” she recalls. It was a very significant moment in her life, a moment that would set her on an extraordinary path. As her father lay in the hospital, bedridden and fighting for his life, she found herself whispering words of hope and determination. “Stay for a few more months so you can go to my graduation, so you can see what I’m working so hard for,” she would tell him, unsure if he could even hear her.

Arein Grace DiBartolomeo is a Chaparral student , finishing her highschool education as not a senior but a junior. Arien’s journey is not a typical one. Faced with the harsh reality of her father’s illness, she knew that time was of the essence. Determined to ensure that her beloved father could witness her graduation ceremony, Arien took on the daunting challenge of completing her high school education ahead of schedule.

For her, early graduation was not about showing off, but about achieving a personal accomplishment. “I want to have an accomplishment for myself that I earned single-handedly,” she shares. The road to early graduation was not without its challenges. “I get scared of the future at times,” she admits, “with added exhaustion from waking up so early, it is a difficult thing to handle.” Yet through it all, she persevered, driven by a deep sense of purpose.

From this experience, she learned valuable lessons about herself. “I am not good at managing my time or remembering certain dates that are crucial,” she acknowledges, “and I definitely need to work on it.” But in spite of these challenges, she emerged victorious, a testament to her unwavering determination and resilience.

“The path to graduating early is way easier than you’d expect,” she reflects. “Although it takes an investment of time and self-discipline, it genuinely can be done by anyone.” Her journey serves as an inspiration to many, a reminder that with dedication and hard work, anything is possible. As she holds her diploma in hand, she stands as a symbol of hope and perseverance, a testament to the power of determination in the face of adversity.

On Thursday, May 23, 2024 Arien Grace will walk across the stage, the emotions will be overwhelming. Cheers will be heard from her loving sisters, her proud friends , and most importantly her role model father. For many, high school graduation is a milestone to be celebrated in due time, but for one young girl, the urgency to pursue early graduation stemmed from a deeply personal reason.

Donate to The Express

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chaparral High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.