The Student News Site of Chaparral High School

The Express

The Express

The Express

Behind The Act

Theater’s Technical Team
Behind The Act
https://texasartsproject.com/programs-of-study/senior-camp-ages-14-18/technical-theatre-and-design/

When watching a play have you ever caught yourself admiring the set props or costumes that the actors wear? While the actors are the ones bringing the characters to life, the ones who really set the scene of the story are the ones behind the scenes. Theater tech is one of the CTE programs that Chaparral hosts– covering the many elements that technical theater entails. What exactly happens behind the curtain?

The stage itself is only a blank canvas initially. It only comes to life due to the people who work to build the set before the production. The team first creates a model or sketch of some kind in order to get a visual on the positions of it all. The set production team sometimes needs to create multiple types of set props in order to follow along with the changing scenes. When the curtain falls to transition into the next scene they need to quickly swap out the set props within the short time-frame. Other props that are typically used on set are those that are used by the performers themselves. This includes things ranging from a magic wand to a specific book cherished by one of the characters. All of that is up to the theater technicians to make, making sure that they’re ready to be handled on stage without falling apart.

Much like props, costumes are in constant use once they hit the stage. Theater technicians are also responsible for making these costumes. Sewing isn’t exactly the easiest to learn so this job is definitely important. The costume design team must try to achieve a look similar if not exactly the same as that of the characters being portrayed in the production. This can be difficult if the costumes need to be on the more detailed side. Just making the costume look adequate isn’t enough however. The wearable of the costume must be taken into consideration. Performers should be able to move and act easily while wearing the costume as well as change out of it quickly in the cases of costume shifts for different scenes. Due to this costumes are commonly rigged in order to be taken on and off when needed.

Some theater technicians are always in action when the production takes place, unlike how the costume designers mostly keep on standby. During a play there are many different sounds that are at play. From sound effects and background music to full soundtracks used to support the actors singing in musicals. These sounds are managed by someone on a soundboard, a flat-board like device with numerous switches that controls the sound. The technician in charge of the sound board needs to stay alert so soundtracks are played at the correct time. This is a similar situation that the lights manager is in. The lights on the stage are made to be able to move to follow the actors, typically the one at the center of the scene. A technician is placed near the top of the stage and shifts lights as needed– capturing the audiences’ attention to the intended focus.

Theater tech has many different sides to it, accommodating for people with many different skills. They are the people behind the magic of the set so they are an essential part of the theatrical world. When you see a play, you might be more inclined to pay attention to the details in the costumes or the position of the technician managing the soundboard. Their work is captivating in its own way after all.

Donate to The Express

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chaparral High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.