School Safety a Focus

New Gate Entry Rules Greet Students This Year

Ready to Serve and Protect

David Garcia and Marco Cabanog

School safety, a topic that’s been on the news and even on social media, is the top priority according to school district officials from around the country. Here at Chaparral High School, Principal Thomas Smith said recently, “In order to keep our school safe, students need to listen to the rules.” 
In response to violence that occurred locally at schools around the valley last school year, there is a single-entry door and students can not be on campus before 6:40. There is also new fencing around the perimeter of the school that does not allow for any student access during the day. Students and staff members are required to wear a school ID badge, and show it upon entrance to the school. Students may also notice an increased presence of police officers around our campus.
Student safety is also a concern on school busses, and upgraded cameras are being installed on busses this year.
“Student safety and well-being are paramount at CCSD. By upgrading the cameras on our buses we can monitor students and the adults charged with safely transporting them,” CCSD Superintendent Dr. Jesus F. Jara said during a press conference at this past summer

Student Entry Way
.
Other safety measures that will go into place this year, and students will be informed of any changes or additions to our school rules.
“We have to be responsible for our own safety” says Mr. Smith.