The Student News Site of Chaparral High School

The Express

The Express

The Express

New Leader Brings Chaparral into 50th Year

Shyla Marble

Students returning to Chaparral this year may have noticed that we have a new Interim Principal, Kristal Cummings. Though she may seem new to a majority of the student body, she is not new to the Chaparral community. In 2015 she was a dean for Chaparral and she said she “fell in love with the Chaparral community.” Since then she used that experience to gain the knowledge she needed to become a school principal. Before she returned to us she was an administrator at West Prep K-12. She enjoys the opportunity to make an impact on an entire school community to ensure that every student and staff has a well experience and is content and comfortable in Chaparrals Community. Which we should all appreciate!

Along with her impact she feels with her new rules and regulations should help our students better hold knowledge and here is how. She said, “Tardy Lockout is important to know the importance of their education and translate that knowledge onto the real world as an adult,” which means being on time to any class is no different from being on time to work. There will be consequences for not making it on time to class, just as there are even huger consequences for not making it on time to work.

Along with tardy sweeps is the new school cell phone policy. Cell phones are can no longer be seen out in the classroom and may only be used during passing period and lunch. Cummings explained that it has been proven that cell phones are a distraction for students and that they interfere with both teaching, and learning.

“Teachers and staff are here to help you gain all the knowledge that they are required to teach you and make sure that you can comprehend and understand on your own,” said Cummings.

Our principal is also a big supporter of Chaparral athletic teams. She even attended college on a basketball scholarship. She finds it of importance that the coaches here at Chaparral build bonds with our student athletes and instills in them the proper tools needed to take their career to the next level.

We are fortunate to a great new leader as we head into our next 50 years of being such an important part of the Las Vegas community.

Donate to The Express

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chaparral High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.